Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Deeeelicious Pie Crust

I was spoiled as a child because my mom made everything and I mean everything, homemade.  Store bought rolls were a bad word in our house.  Refrigerated cookie dough? What was that?!  Meals from a box. No! So, the thought of buying store pie crust doesn't go through my head.  Maybe this is why I have only made pie crust twice in my life. I love my mom's but couldn't find the recipe, so I went to my go to blog Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I know her recipes are the best. They always are!  And I like that she blogs for herself not for other people.  So, trust me when I say that this pie crust is:
flaky
crispy
non soggy
delicious
buttery
goodness
aka
heaven in a pie plate

Here is the recipe, but she also has a tutorial on her blog.


*Makes 2 pie crusts (for 2 single crust pies or 1 double crust pie)
1 cup (2 sticks) very cold butter (I cut my butter into about 16 small pieces, put them on a plate and place the
plate in the freezer for about 15 minutes before using in the recipe)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup ice water, plus an additional tablespoon or two if needed
For the pie crust:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix to blend. Scatter the butter pieces across the flour mixture
and using a pastry cutter or two knives, work the butter into the flour until the pieces of butter are pea-sized and
the mixture is coarse and crumbly. Throughout this process, the butter should stay very cold and firm. If you
notice the butter is softening too much, refrigerate the mixture for about 10 minutes before continuing, although
this shouldn’t be a problem if you work quickly. Drizzle the cold water over the flour/butter mixture, and with a
fork, toss the flour and water lightly to combine. The dough should start to pull together in a floury mass of
dough. Add a tablespoon of cold water additionally at a time if the dough is too dry. The dough should not
resemble a sugar cookie dough – in fact, it may still be a bit crumbly when you start to roll it out, but it will come
together as you roll.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...