Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thinking Thursday: The Happiest Mom

I came across this site awhile back, I don't even know how, but I am so happy that I did! Meagan Francis is the writer of The Happiest Mom blog and also The Happiest Mom book, which I just finished reading. It was a friendly, easy read that was simple enough for a tired pregnant lady to read. Made me feel understood and that I can continue on this great journey called motherhood! Plus, it is such a happy book. It is flowery, colorful and pretty. My kids loved looking at it! These are the things I liked best from her book of advice:

1) Give yourself a break. You don't have to do everything. If you are feeling over the top, overwhelmed, or just plain done with saying "yes" to everything, then don't! We have all said yes too much (or at least, I have!) and in the process of trying to do everything for everyone else, forget to take care of our own families and ourselves. Service is important but also taking care of our number one priorities!

2) 2 Minute Rule. If something involving cleaning or organizing will only take two minutes, then do it! You will feel awesome for having accomplished something and knock little stuff off of your list that are bugging you. How long does it really take to put the clothes off of the chair/banister/couch away? Less than 2 minutes I bet (unless you just got back from vacation!)

3) Life as a mom can AND should be fun! It seems like some days are spent venting to other mothers about whose kid is worse. Whose potty training went worse. Whose house is messier! Really, we should enjoy these people we call our kids. I read a quote the other day that said "Our families are meant to bring us joy." So true! We really need to remember that our kids are supposed to make us happy, even when they do make us pull our hair out!

4) Finally, I enjoyed the fact that us mothers are in this together and can help each other or not, but really, we should all work together to be happy. I have sure had friends who have made me feel way worse about myself and my mothering techniques and seriously sad after hanging out. It is just not worth it! Surround yourself with people who make you happy and encourage you to be the best and you will be the best mom you can be!


1 comment:

Mindy said...

I love the 2 minute rule! Too often I put tasks off. When I finally do them, I am always surprised that it really took so little time. And your right, it is such a load off!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...