Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My mom's biscuits

I have been in a family recipe mood recently. Maybe it's holidays approaching and we are four states away from any family.  Maybe it's me getting sentimental in my old age.  Maybe it's the freezing cold that makes me want to bake all day.  Whatever it is, I like it!

Great story behind these biscuits.  My mom used to make homemade biscuits all the time but they always turned out hard.  My dad would fondly call them "hockey pucks".  This is obviously before the age of pinterest, cooking blogs,etc for the best recipes around.  Her friend, Cheryl??, gave her this recipe and we were all sold.  She always made it with her infamous macaroni and cheese (recipe to come eventually).  Yes, two breads in a meal, so what?!  These are just great biscuits and easy to make.  If you have the time, roll them out and cut them with a biscuit cutter or glass.  I did not have the time. Instead I had a fussy and super cute baby who was not caring about pretty cut out biscuits!  So, I made drop biscuits and they work as well.  Thanks to my mom for teaching me some great cooking!

3 c. flour
¼ c. sugar
4 t. baking pwder
½ t. cream of tartar
¾ t. salt
½ c. butter
1 egg
Milk
Combine dry.  Add egg.  Cut in butter. Add milk till texture is not wet but not dry.  Get that?  Cut out with biscuit cutter or drop onto cookie sheet.  375 for 12-15 min.  Makes 12, give or take.
Don't forget to enter my hair bow giveaway at  Mandy's Recipe Box until Tues the 13th.

And don't forget to enter my giveaway until Friday 9th here!

6 comments:

Dora said...

It's actually La Dan's recipe but still so good!

Carole said...

these are quite exotic for me. they look a little bit like what we would call scones. Have a super week.

PS Thank you very much for following Carole's Chatter

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Looks absolutely wonderful, yummy biscuits. Thanks Heather for visiting me and for your sweet words :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe...I will be sure to keep it on hand.

Blessings,
Linda

Jutta Lenihan said...

Love this basic recipe, they look so fluffy!
Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there again this week :)

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

I'd like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-8-turkey.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...