Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Comfort (5 minute prompt)

Comfort 2/26/14

The ability to comfort has always been one I wanted.  I have wanted to hug at the right time, say the right words, smile, cry and laugh in the right places.  This is harder than it seems.  Sometimes you want to just yell at the person.  Say, "If you hadn't done this or this, then you wouldn't be in this situation."  Or to the kid, "I told you that was hot."  Or "I told you to do your homework." Or "I told you that friend was a brat."  But I don't.  Instead I say nothing or I hug or offer a prayer or hopefully some words of comfort that will actually work or mean something.  The gift of comfort is a true blessing.  I know people who have it. They are usually 50 years or older.  They have had the years of experience and the time to practice. I know that as a mother, I have learned to get better at it.  To just hug when they fall off the chair you told them not to stand on.  Instead of getting mad, hugging them.  When you feel like strangling them, look into their sweet tear filled eyes and say, "I love you" and help them, even when you don't feel like they deserve it.  Comfort them because comfort is what lasts.  Because they will remember "that one time" when mom helped me when I didn't deserve it or when she didn't feel like it or when I felt like I didn't need it or want it.  Because sometimes all you need is a big hug or a "way to go" and you can move forward.  Because comfort is hard to come by but easy to give.  Because if we all comforted each other, what  a happier world this would be. Because if we encouraged and uplifted and helped then we wouldn't need to downplay or insult.  Because comfort is something that lasts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...