Tuesday, August 23, 2011

2 Year Old Birthday Cupcakes!


Decorating cupcakes is NOT my forte! My sister is much better at that stuff! My cute 2 year old loves babies, so I tried to make these baby cupcakes look like they were under a blanket. I don't mind sharing my funky failures! This was my first attempt with fondant and I cut it out with a flower cookie cutter to look like a blanket.
I can bake a mean cupcake and my frosting turned out perfectly this time! Hooray!! The cake was a bit more dense than I like, but not bad. Next time, I'll have to look for a fluffier recipe. My husband loves dense though so he was pretty happy with it! I got the cupcake recipe here. The frosting was super yummy and creamy and chocolatey!! I found the recipe here.

Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 36 or so

3-1/2 cups AP flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, unsalted
2 cups sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract
6 eggs
3 tbsp canola oil
2/3 cup buttermilk

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare cupcake pan with liners.

In a large bowl, sift to combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a stand mixer, fitted with a flat beater, cream the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light. Add vanilla. Then eggs, one at a time. (Don’t worry if the batter looks curdled.) Add oil and buttermilk. Slowly add flour mixture in 3 additions and mix until just combined. Try not to overmix!
Fill cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full. Bake about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 8 ozs cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 C sifted powdered sugar (You can decrease this amount if you don't care about it being as stiff for piping)
  • 1/2 C cocoa powder
  1. Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
  2. Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
  3. Mix in cocoa powder


4 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Great job! These are cute. I am pretty horrible at decorating food in general...but I try!

(BTW - I vote for the ice cream all day idea...113???sheesh!)

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Those little babies are so cute! Was she happy with the cupcakes?

I am a new follower from the Show and Tell Linking Party at Blue Cricket Design. If you have a chance come by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi.
Thanks!

April J Harris said...

These are very cute cupcakes, and the recipe sounds delicious too! Thank you for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch!

Sri Ernawati Suryana said...

was here

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...