Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thinking Thursday: Girl Power!

These two books are two of my most favorite books. They are light without being thoughtless. They are entertaining without being stupid. They are thought provoking without being braggy. In other words, they are perfect writes and in my mind perfect books to read over and over again!

If you haven't read this book, (where have you been?!), you must!! You must not see the movie before you read it! I haven't seen the movie and I really want to but I am afraid, because what if it doesn't live up to my expectations? No matter what happens, this book will never be ruined for me! The setting: 1960's. The plot: White woman and the black woman who work for them. The downside: You might never want to eat chocolate pie again! (hardy har har!) So wonderful to see this time in period from a totally different and honest perspective. Kathryn Stockett has a beautiful writing style and an up front perspective! Please read this and LOVE it!!

The next book is The Wednesday Sisters and I am proud to say I know Meg Waite Clayton! She is a delight. I got lucky and put a review of this book on goodreads and she responded saying she does book club interviews in person or over the phone, depending on your area. She called. She was absolutely delightful! She is intelligent, charming and not patronizing at all! She also has two other books, The Language of Light and The Four Mrs. Bradwells.

This book is about a writing group of women in the 1970's and their lives progressing throughout history. Their struggles, their triumphs, their friendship, their goals. It will make you want to create a writing group. It will make you appreciate your best friends forever!

2 comments:

Michelle and Chad said...

I'm finishing my first book in a very long time... The Help. And I LOVE IT! When I'm finished, we should have a girls night and go see the movie!!!

Heather said...

Good for you!! Glad you love it. It is so great! And I saw the movie with Blake (he loved it too) and would totally see it again.=)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...