Monday, March 31, 2014

Dive (5 minute post)

Dive

For today, you get to read an embarrassing story featuring....ME!  It was circa 1993 or so. I was swimming at my friend Katie Mill's pool.  It was a perfectly sunny day in Las Vegas.  Hot enough to fry an egg and then some.  I have never been a great swimmer. I have never been a good swimmer.  In short, I was very insecure about my swimming abilities.  Everyone was diving into the pool with ease and grace.  I swam around in the water, then decided I would attempt the dive.  I came to the side of the pool. I tried once. I failed.  I was too afraid to let my arms be my guide.  I tried again.  I was determined.  I held my arms above my head, prepared to dive in head first and imagined a graceful dolphinesque dive.  Slicing through the water with beauty and poise.  Instead, I pulled my arms in at the last second and smacked my head on the bottom of the pool with a resounding thud.  I can still feel that pain.  The pain of my head and the pain of my ego.  I came to the surface and I am not sure anybody saw, but I felt like the whole world did.  I felt the pain of adolescence.  The awkward feelings of failure and attempting again and still another failure.  I never attempted to dive again.  I am now 33 years old.  I can swim well.  I have taught my kids to swim.  I have swum in the ocean and lakes and deep water, in which I didn't know the depths.  But I have never tried to dive again.  I think this summer, I will have my daughter Hailey teach me.  She is 9 and has the confidence of an Olympic swimmer.  She can do every stroke with ease and seemingly no effort.  I will sidle up next to her on a sunny day and she will help me through my fear.  I am sure my first attempt will be a kneeling attempt, just as the teach the little kids.  But sometimes it takes the instruction meant for children to get adults over their fears.  And I am ok with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Letting your daughter teach you to dive is a really awesome thing you can do for a kid. This lets them know you are human too and learning to work through your fear teaches her that special skill. Good luck and you can do it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...